The Holmes Family is a well-to-do family of country squires, originating in Yorkshire in England. Their most famous son was the detective Sherlock Holmes, who discusses his family background in the story "The Greek Interpreter" by Dr. John Watson and Arthur Conan Doyle.
Philip José Farmer makes the Holmeses a major branch of the Wold Newton Family in Tarzan Alive, having identified Dr. Siger Holmes and his wife Violet as having been present at the Wold Newton Meteorite strike. Their descendents exhibited extraordinary abilities (such as Sherlock Holmes's great powers of deductive reasons), as did those of the other witnesses of the event, as a result of ionizing radiation released at the moment of the strike.
Sherlockian scholars are traced a definite Scandinavian element in the ancestry of the Holmes family (for example, in the name "Siger"), and indeed the name "Holmes" itself seems to derive from a Scandinavian word for "island."
- Sherlock Holmes
- Mycroft Holmes
- Nero Wolfe
- Sir Denis Nayland Smith
- Professor Challenger (according to William S. Baring-Gould, but disputed by Farmer)
- Solar Pons (see Brad Mengel below)
- Ellery Queen (see Brad Mengel below)
- Barnaby Jones (see Brad Mengel below)
- Martin Hewitt (see Brad Mengel below)
- Lara Croft aka 'Tomb Raider' (see Brad Mengel below)
- Watching the Detectives, or The Family Tree of Sherlock Holmes by Brad Mengel (original version)
- Dr. Siger Holmes and the Wold Newton Conspiracy: Further Thoughts by Brett Fawcett
- Holmes (surname) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia